Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Living the Vegan Life - Day 2

This morning began, once again, with a bowl of Cheerios. I then went grocery shopping, doing a massive vegan overhaul in our kitchen. How I wish there were a Whole Foods closer to me than 40 miles away!

For lunch I made Taco Salad, romaine with red peppers, carrots, scallions, avocado and 'taco meat': three bean medley and walnuts blended in a food processor. It was...different. Not bad, just different, will definitely take some getting used to. The vinaigrette, however, was yummy!

After that I went to my grandparents house, my grandpa had a doctors appointment at Stanford University, about 2 hours away, and I offered to drive. On my way over there I realized I was getting a little hungry, so I grabbed some cheerios and was on my way; I don't think I've had Cheerios as a snack since I was a child! I had prepped everything for dinner this afternoon, but after we got there we realized we would not be making it back in time, so we went out instead. My grandparents were aware of my vegan challenge, and suggested Fresh Choice. I've never been a big fan of the place, but they have definitely improved things! There is a food guide and now every single food item has identifying marks, telling you whether it is gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian, fat-free, and some other things, so cool! I was easily able to ensure that everything I got was vegan,without making a fuss! I must admit that eating out was a bit more tempting this time, not indulging in any of the usual items I might get. Every station had at least one vegan item, which was wonderful. I ended up having a large salad, herbed rice, pasta pomodoro, and even a slice of sourdough bread! Dessert was less exciting, sliced pineapple with blueberry topping, but I was still grateful for the option!

I'm excited for the recipes I will be trying tomorrow, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment